Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biohazard contaminants have the potential to be very dangerous and can pose a serious health risk passing disease, infection and bacteria. Many hazards fall in this category, but when we're thinking biohazard we're thinking wastes and substances like human blood and fluids (or related substances), animal waste, microbiological wastes, pathological wastes and medical sharps.
Standards are established for the cleanup of these types of needs by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration). These standards require the right protocols, the right equipment and the relevant expertise. Because our SERVPRO of Weymouth & Hingham teams are pros at professional cleaning our team is able to come alongside your business and regain control of your property.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (781) 337-0344
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Weymouth & Hingham has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
SERVPRO of Weymouth & Hingham proudly serves Weymouth, Hingham, Weymouth Landing, and surrounding areas.