If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (781) 337-0344

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Uh Oh! There's Mold in my Home.

3/30/2017 (Permalink)

Uh Oh! There's Mold in my Home.           
                        
            Hundreds of cases of mold attack are reported in
Massachusetts alone every year. This is especially during wet seasons
when moisture levels in homes peak. Adequate ventilation and low
humidity levels are critical for minimizing microbial growth in
buildings.


Mold cleanup is a delicate process that requires consulting an
experienced environmental hygienist. Often times, people try using
household chemicals like bleach. However, this can end up aggravating
the microbial growth, and giving the fungus more time and moisture to
flourish. Fortunately, there are experts that can assess and handle home
 cases in Weymouth and Hingham, MA.

What causes it?

Commonly, people refer to most fungus growth as mildew. At times, some
dark colored mildew can be mistaken for toxic fungi, which causes people
 to panic. Mold is a fungi growth commonly found in warm and humid
places. It is fast growing, usually taking less than 48 hours to appear
if the conditions are right.


It is important to note that not all microbial growth is mold or
harmful. However, it is best to treat any fungus that appears in
residential buildings as potentially dangerous until the situation can
be assessed by a qualified environmental hygienist. These professionals
are a phone call away, and they usually provide same-day services.

How to identify growth

The key to minimizing damage is early identification and timely
remediation. If a space in a building feels damp, there are chances that
 fungal growth can happen there. If there is a strange odor, it is
likely that growth is underway. Walls, ceilings, floor tiles, carpets
and window sills are great places to start looking. The exact spots can
appear as discolorations or water stains on wooden or carbon-based
building material.


Some severe cases of fungi show up as dark blotches on affected
surfaces. However, this is usually when the fungi are fully developed.
Early growth is normally evasive, and it takes a closer look to notice.
If the background surface is dark, using white tissue paper to wipe and
observe what comes off can help. On bright surfaces, early signs of
growth can be tiny discolorations, particularly dark colored circular
patches.

Stay away from the affected zones

As fungi grow and spread, they release spores and chemical compounds
into the surrounding air. Therefore, when growth is noticed
in a home, it is advised to keep the area closed off until professional
mold cleanup can be done.

Get in touch with a professional

Small growths of fungi in a bathroom corner can be easy to remove.
However, if carpets, floors, and ceilings are affected, it is best to
hire an expert in mold cleanup. Remediation services professionals are
trained to inspect and test the type of fungi in the home. In addition,
they will advise on necessary steps to take and provide effective
restoration services.

Reduce humidity

Even with professional help on the way, a few things can be done to
reduce growth. If the humidity in the home is due to leaks, then
stopping these is imperative. Repairing plumbing issues, removing
humidifiers and any other ways of lowering the humidity in the affected
areas are recommended. However, to limit exposure to the spores and
chemicals, it is best to wear face masks and goggles.

Minimize spreading

Since fungi need heat to flourish, powering down central heating, if it
is possible, can help slow down growth. The same goes for heating units
and air conditioning systems in affected rooms. Vents that connect
affected rooms to other rooms can be covered with plastic until
professional help arrives. This can help minimize exposure to spores,
even if people stay in the unaffected zones of the house.


Residents of Weymouth and Hingham, MA, have great options for
remediation services. Given that most places in Massachusetts can be
humid and warm, homeowners should keep an eye out for fungal growth.
Uncontrolled fungal growth can lead to damage of electrical units, air
conditioning, walls and floors, and weakening of a building’s structure.
 This could add up to huge bills, if not addressed properly.            
Visit What to do when you find Mold in Your Home in Weymouth and Hingham, MA            
                        
            Hundreds of cases of mold attack are reported in
Massachusetts alone every year. This is especially during wet seasons
when moisture levels in homes peak. Adequate ventilation and low
humidity levels are critical for minimizing microbial growth in
buildings.


Mold cleanup is a delicate process that requires consulting an
experienced environmental hygienist. Often times, people try using
household chemicals like bleach. However, this can end up aggravating
the microbial growth, and giving the fungus more time and moisture to
flourish. Fortunately, there are experts that can assess and handle home
 cases in Weymouth and Hingham, MA.

What causes it?

Commonly, people refer to most fungus growth as mildew. At times, some
dark colored mildew can be mistaken for toxic fungi, which causes people
 to panic. Mold is a fungi growth commonly found in warm and humid
places. It is fast growing, usually taking less than 48 hours to appear
if the conditions are right.


It is important to note that not all microbial growth is mold or
harmful. However, it is best to treat any fungus that appears in
residential buildings as potentially dangerous until the situation can
be assessed by a qualified environmental hygienist. These professionals
are a phone call away, and they usually provide same-day services.

How to identify growth

The key to minimizing damage is early identification and timely
remediation. If a space in a building feels damp, there are chances that
 fungal growth can happen there. If there is a strange odor, it is
likely that growth is underway. Walls, ceilings, floor tiles, carpets
and window sills are great places to start looking. The exact spots can
appear as discolorations or water stains on wooden or carbon-based
building material.


Some severe cases of fungi show up as dark blotches on affected
surfaces. However, this is usually when the fungi are fully developed.
Early growth is normally evasive, and it takes a closer look to notice.
If the background surface is dark, using white tissue paper to wipe and
observe what comes off can help. On bright surfaces, early signs of
growth can be tiny discolorations, particularly dark colored circular
patches.

Stay away from the affected zones

As fungi grow and spread, they release spores and chemical compounds
into the surrounding air. Therefore, when growth is noticed
in a home, it is advised to keep the area closed off until professional
mold cleanup can be done.

Get in touch with a professional

Small growths of fungi in a bathroom corner can be easy to remove.
However, if carpets, floors, and ceilings are affected, it is best to
hire an expert in mold cleanup. Remediation services professionals are
trained to inspect and test the type of fungi in the home. In addition,
they will advise on necessary steps to take and provide effective
restoration services.

Reduce humidity

Even with professional help on the way, a few things can be done to
reduce growth. If the humidity in the home is due to leaks, then
stopping these is imperative. Repairing plumbing issues, removing
humidifiers and any other ways of lowering the humidity in the affected
areas are recommended. However, to limit exposure to the spores and
chemicals, it is best to wear face masks and goggles.

Minimize spreading

Since fungi need heat to flourish, powering down central heating, if it
is possible, can help slow down growth. The same goes for heating units
and air conditioning systems in affected rooms. Vents that connect
affected rooms to other rooms can be covered with plastic until
professional help arrives. This can help minimize exposure to spores,
even if people stay in the unaffected zones of the house.


Residents of Weymouth and Hingham, MA, have great options for
remediation services. Given that most places in Massachusetts can be
humid and warm, homeowners should keep an eye out for fungal growth.
Uncontrolled fungal growth can lead to damage of electrical units, air
conditioning, walls and floors, and weakening of a building’s structure.
 This could add up to huge bills, if not addressed properly.            
Visit http://www.SERVPROweymouthhingham.com for more information on mold removal and remediation.
   

Other News

View Recent Posts