How To Troubleshoot Your Commercial Irrigation System
Automation can be a wonderful thing, but when your commercial irrigation system stops working properly, solving the problem usually isn't automatic. Although you may end up having to call your irrigation service company, there are some things you can do to troubleshoot the problem before you pick up the phone. It's possible you might be able to correct the issue yourself, but at the very least, you will be able to provide your technician with the right information to make the repair quick and easy.
Describe What Irrigation Problems You Are Having
- Has your system stopped working completely?
- Is there a lack of pressure?
- Are some zones working, while others are not?
Is there flooding?
- Does the pressure seem too low?
- Is the timer working?
Do Some Detective Work
1. Take a walk around the property and check for broken or clogged sprinkler heads in the irrigation system.
2. If all seems good there, it's helpful to have a voltage meter and a wire detector on hand to see if there's an electrical issue. You can check to see if the timer is plugged in and sending a 24 volt impulse, or whether the circuit breaker has been tripped. You can also use your wire detector to see if there is a break in the line that connects the valves to the timer - they're usually grouped together (that's the manifold.)
3. Sometimes, the problem is with the solenoid, though this is usually diagnosed and repaired by your irrigation service company.
4. If there is any flooding on the property, or worse - inside your commercial space - you most likely have a broken pipe or valve. Turn off the water supply, and if there is damage and/or cleanup needed, call a water damage specialist in Weymouth, MA.
Unless you are an irrigation system specialist, it may not be easy to fix the problem yourself, but that doesn't mean there's nothing you can do. Taking a few minutes to assess and write down what is going on will help your technician locate the source of the problem faster, which will ultimately save you time and money.