Avoiding House Fires: The Rules of Candle Use
A Candle Fire May Lead to Significant Loss
Who doesn’t love a good smelling candle? Those waxy sticks line store shelves with all those exotic names just enticing you to buy them and bring them home, making your house smell like some rustic northern cabin. While candles are great for setting the mood or creating ambiance, they also present a considerable risk to you and your home. A candle fire may lead to significant loss. Therefore, when using candles, it is a good idea to follow the rules of use.
1. Don’t Leave Candles Unattended
Never leave a lit candle unattended. The small flames on most candles may seem harmless enough, but if you leave the room for even a minute that candle may fall, causing that little flame to engulf your furniture, room or home.
2. Keep Away from Children and Pets
Children and pets likely do not have the capacity to successfully interfere if a candle fire starts. Also, animals and children probably do not have the foresight to understand that playing around an open flame of any kind is dangerous. Therefore, it is necessary to keep candles away from children and pets who are not supervised by a responsible adult.
3. Remove Flammable Items
While it may seem like a no brainer, candles should never be placed near or on top of flammable items. All those Halloween pictures showing a candle on top of a stack of books are wrong, doing so puts you at significant risk for a house fire. Paper and an open flame do not belong together unless it is meant as kindling. The same can be said of fabrics. Be careful where you place candles, and always be mindful.
4. Consult a Fire Specialist
While it may seem like overkill, you can speak with a fire assessment specialist or a fireman in the Hingham, MA, area. These individuals are experienced in fire and smoke cleanup and will likely know the basics of candle safety.
A candle fire is a possibility when using candles regularly. However, it can be avoided by following the rules of candle use and safety.