Nor’easters: 5 Things You Should Know
5 Facts to Know Before you Find Yourself Facing a Nor'easter
As a Weymouth, MA, resident and homeowner, you need to be aware of nor’easters and their potentially damaging effects in your part of the country. Here are five facts to know before you find yourself facing a nor’easter.
1. These storms are most common between September and April. Nor’easters can occur at any time of year, but you can expect them to be a bigger threat around fall and winter. The reason for this is that cold and warm air are more likely to combine during this time period and create the perfect storm.
2. They aren’t just about snow. This may be one of the lesser known nor’easter facts - rain, heavy winds and damaging coastal waters are all possible. Snow is very common, especially since many of these storms occur in the wintertime, but it is important to remember that hurricane-like effects are quite possible when a nor’easter hits.
3. Nor’easters are common in Weymouth, MA. These storms are mainly a threat to the Northeast, particularly along the East Coast.
4. They are dangerous. Nor’easters can cause everything from flooding to power outages, and roads tend to be unsafe during and even after such a storm. Make sure that you stock up on supplies and listen to what local authorities are saying throughout such an event.
5. No official scale exists. There is an informal intensity scale called the Dolan-Davis scale that measures nor’easters, but it is not widely popular.
If the possibility of a nor’easter makes you worry about storm damage from floods, remember that professional help is available if destruction should occur. If you find yourself facing one of these infamous weather events, wait until the chaos calms down and call your local storm damage restoration service. Many technicians can arrive quickly to help with emergencies and begin creating a cleanup and repair plan right away.